Advertisement

Top 10 Things I Wish I Was Taught When I Started Guitar

Top 10 Things I Wish I Was Taught When I Started Guitar ►►Free Theory Course

Today I want to talk to you about the top ten things I wished I was taught when I started at guitar.

1. Music theory is not your enemy. There is this misconception that understanding music theory is going to take away the magic feel from your music. If anything, learning music theory is going to enhance your appreciation for music.

2. Trust your inner musician. Frequently you will feel starstruck when you look at all the brilliant players out there. However, we tend to forget that our inner voice is what makes us unique musically. Never overlook the simple ideas.

3. Using your pinky is not that important. As long as the delivery of a piece of music is right you don't have to care so much about the technique.

4. Barre chords are not that important. When we start playing, we struggle so hard with that F major chord shape, but later in life, we find that we don't have to use barre chords that much.

5. Rhythm goes a long way. As a kid, I always wanted to play lead guitar, but my rhythm was awful. What I didn't realize is that there was rhythm in solo playing too, just ask Nuno Bettencourt.

6. Pentatonic scales are not just for blues. When I started I really wanted to be a Steve Vai type of player, although I enjoyed the blues. What I didn't realize is that pentatonic scales are just notes away from seven notes scales that allow you to play modal.

7. There are no levels in music. You don't have to be the best musician, you just have to be you.

8. Accuracy beats speed. Earlier in my guitar career, all I wanted to do was play faster and faster. However, at some point, I always got confused because of the lack of accuracy. Hit the notes with precision and confidence and eventually, the speed will come.

9. Intervals are useful. Intervals will unlock your understanding of music.

10. Contrast goes a long way. There can be contrast in aspects of your playing like volume or speed that can keep the listener interested.

►►Watch This Video Next
►Subscribe
►Short Guitar Lessons
►Long Guitar Lessons
►Lesson Packs
►Guitar Licks
►Reviews

►Check Out My Music
►Business Inquiries: david@davidwallimann.com

Follow Me!

Facebook


Twitter


Endorsed by
Vola Guitars


Fractal Audio


ClearTone Strings


V-Picks


XiTone Cabs


Guitar Pro


Hosa cables

-~-~~-~~~-~~-~-

guitar,electric,axe,fx,fractal,audio,wallimann,lesson,music,gear,fusion,rock,blues,bias,positive grid,modes,music theory,scales,pentatonic,ionian,dorian,phrygian,lydian,mixolydian,aeolian,locrian,minor,major,david wallimann,guitar solo,backing track,vola,vola guitars,vola oz,guitar lesson,10 Things I Wish I Had Known About Guitar EARLIER,What I Wish I Knew My First Year Of Playing,Guitar Tips I Wish I Was Taught,Top 5 Things Every Beginner Guitar Player Should Know,

Post a Comment

0 Comments